Masses were first served in Chillicothe in private homes by a Mission priest in 1850 and later masses were held in the upper part of the Truitt-Matthews Bank Building. The first church building was purchased in 1885 from the Reformed Episcopal Society, located at teh corner of Third and Walnut Streets and was known as St John’s Church.
In 1901 a church building was constructed on the corner of Sixth and Cedar Streets. At this time, there was open country north of the church. A rectory was built in 1924 and later this building and the church were remodeled and brick veneered. A school and convent were built in 1960 and in 1967 the old church was razed and a new structure built on the same site. In connection with the church is a parochial school serving kindergarten through eighth grade, and the pre-school.